The North Belfast representative said the organisation had been “purposely difficult” with information on the service, which provides meals to sick and disabled people, and which is due to end tomorrow (Saturday) due to the contractor pulling out. Around 160 people are estimated to be affected.
“The meals on wheels service is a vital lifeline for many people in my constituency and further afield,” said Ms McAllister.
“Therefore, the news it was to end was deeply concerning. But that has been compounded by the lack of information coming from Belfast Trust on the issue. Indeed, the Trust’s lack of transparency around this whole thing has been nothing extremely unhelpful.
“Despite repeated communication from my office, the Trust has been purposely difficult in providing any sort of assurance, and many questions I have sought responses on have been left unanswered. As a result, we are unaware of the Trust’s full response on this and so cannot judge whether it is adequate.
“Ultimately, the Trust must provide assurances that no person will go without meals as a result of this, and that a sustainable solution is put in place for all users.”